Thursday, November 13, 2008

Monthly David Report

Carter passing out after a long day

Hey everyone, it's me, David! With the effort Brook has put in to keep our blog updated regularly, I feel like I am not pulling my weight and that all our devoted readers are wondering, "What does Dave feel about all this?" I figured that I could at least blog once a month and give a brief update from my point of view. Brook would like to point out that she has been really good at not nagging me to blog. So here we go:

-> School has been good. The Design Workshop class I am taking has helped reassure my decision to major in architecture as the projects have been fun to do and it seems to come naturally to me. I am kind of the teachers pet because of my perfect attendance, punctuality, and preparedness. The last project I completed (at 4:30 a.m. on Monday morning) was centered on the idea of designing with a concept in mind using 3-dimensional shapes. The concept was to create a model that evoked one of four emotions: rage, peace, panic, or wonder. The teacher told the class that this project was almost impossible to accomplish, but that it was more important to learn from the process. Here are some pictures of my final and I will let you guess which emotion I chose.

-> My other class, Intro to Critical Theory, has prompted me to compile a list of literary works that I want to read in my lifetime. This desire probably comes from being surrounded by English majors. I have 57 titles so far and will probably add more depending on how fast I can read them. The list includes Swann's Way, Pride and Prejudice, Great Expectations, Moby Dick, War and Peace, The Chronicles of Narnia, and Catch 22. Right now I am reading the longest book on the list, Les Miserables (1463 pages), and am about 1/3 of the way through. If anyone has some suggestions to add to my list, just let me know.


-> I am getting excited to come back to California for the holidays. While life in Utah has been new and filled with adventure, I miss some comforts that cannot be filled in our new environment. Some things include: our family and friends; KNBR sports talk radio and updates on all my teams; Jack-in-the-Box curly fries; my peeps down at Ceramic Tile Center, even with the stressful environment; Brush Creek Ward; competent drivers; and a feeling of just knowing where everything is.


As for today's events, Carter is growing up so fast. His bottom two teeth should be poking their little heads out soon, which is evident by the flow of saliva that is constantly streaming from his mouth. Brook decided to try giving Carter some mashed avocado to increase his fatty food intake. By the faces he made, we could tell he did not like it, even though he ate a good amount. We are still waiting for him to sit on his own, but I think he is making good progress. I can't even imagine how far along Carter will be in his development by the time we go to California. I wonder if people will even recognize him.


This concludes my update for now, so I hope everyone enjoyed it. Good night and good luck.

4 comments:

Elizabeth said...

Brian and I suggest Count of Monte Cristo be added to your list.

Yay for teeth finally breaking through. Teething is rough.

Dad and Mom Mann said...

That was a very good blog, Dave!! Well written. As for your project, we were very impressed!! :) I said it was rage and dad said Panic. Are either of us right? what did your teacher think?

Love those pix of Carter and the avocado. How brave of you to even try that. I don't think I ever gave any of you Avocado as a baby, probably not even as a young child. I love his faces :)

I'm sure that Dad will have some books to add onto your list. How are you liking Les Miserables??

Elisa said...

I second The Count of Monte Cristo (I had to keep a list of characters to keep track of them because the names kept changing. I would also recommend The Chosen (Chaim Potok) and In Dubious Battle (John Steinbeck).

It's so much fun to keep up to date on you all! Carter is adorable

Mame Voelker said...

Brothers Karamazov, by Dostoevsky and The Magic Mountain, by Thomas Mann