Monday, December 8, 2008

It's beginning to look a lot like Christmas!

We are so excited that we were able to borrow a Christmas tree from Becky "Freebairn"! Thank you so much! Now it feels like Christmas. We had to take down our Thanksgiving turkey, but we took pictures so people could see what we were thankful for this year. Here is "the changing of the guard":
Dave "assembling" our tree
Me trying to do the lights all by myself because Dave was putting on Christmas music.
Me putting up the traditional first ornament (more on that later)
Dave and his first (It reads "The first of many 2005")
Bottom
Top
Dave's, mine and Carter's. In that order.
We have so many ornaments and a lot of them are very sentimental. I wouldn't be able to mention ALL of them in this post so I'll just do this years picks.
This is my favorite ornament and is ALWAYS the first one I put on the tree. My mom got this ornament in 1979 and even though it was not a significant year for me I fell in love with it when I was little and always picked it as my first ornament. When I moved out and got married I begged my mom to give it to me. She said no (I think because it was my favorite thus creating good memories) so I found one on Ebay and she got it for me for Christmas. Confession time: Mom, I swapped the 2 when you weren't looking.
Dave gets me a new angel ornament every year and when I was pregnant last year he got me this one. It's a mom and a little boy.
This is one Dave insists on putting up every year. My sister got this blown glass ornament for him before we were married and it seriously, no joke, weighs 5 lbs. It is always on a bottom branch.
An oldie but a goodie. Made in 1988 (I was 4) by my preschool best friend Rachel. She happens to be Jewish which makes the gesture of a Christmas ornament even sweeter.

Job update: I had an interview that went really well today with another insurance company. I have a second interview for the first company tomorrow and then a second for the place I interviewed today on Wednesday. Things are working out.

4 comments:

Dad and Mom Mann said...

Dad's in the air on his way to NY. "God Speed and take care of him!" I'm home for a few minutes and then off to take down the Nativity exhibit.

It's fun to see that Turkey up close and read your words and phrases. I love being able to watch you decorate the tree. I feel like I'm there...almost. Love you!!

Emily said...

Looks very festive at your house. Hopefully that will help you feel a little better about staying in Utah over the holidays. We'll miss you!

Emily said...

oh, and by the way - that kid of yours is getting cuter by the day (I'm not trying to say he wasn't cute before, but as he's learning new things, it is cute to watch).

Raphelle said...

We were very excited to see our names on the turkey. I was so hoping we would be there.

I'm so glad that you got a tree!! It looks lovely! We haven't had a tree the past two years and even though on Christmas day we get to be at a house where there is a tree, it's not the same when you don't get to decorate it and have it around all month! It's really hard to get in the Christmas spirit without that crucial kickoff! Anyway I'm very glad you didn't have to go without for your first Christmas in Utah. :) Cute wrapping paper, too.